is an Web application development tool, used to develop
interactive Indian language applications to be deployed
over the internet or intranet.
Offering technology solutions, iPlugin
3 from GIST enables a user to realize the full potential
of the Internet in the creation of static as well
as interactive Indian language web content for front-end
& back-end Internet solutions. Thereby, enabling
communication in the choice of language of the user.
It is easy to enable existing English
site for Indian Languages, without changing look and
feel of the webpage.
iPlugin has two sets of components,
one for the server side integration and the other for
client (Web browser) deployment. The client setup is
delivered to the client when the client machine accesses
the site for the first time. The user is asked to accept
a certificate while downloading and installing the digital
The client side components which plugin
into the browser, enable existing HTML elements for
Indian Language (IL) input : Input box, TextArea,
Editable DIV, iFrame etc.
iPlugin as a tool has three flavours.
The basic tool is designed for MS Windows environments.
The second tool is designed for .Net (dot net) environments
while the third is a Java suite which enables iPlugin
to work in various environments like Linux, Solaris,
Unix, or any OS supporting Java Run Time on the serverside.
The supported languages of India are
- Devanagari (ISO BilingualWeb)
- Gujarati (ISO BilingualWeb)
- Devanagari (ISO MonolingualWeb)
- Telugu (ISO MonolingualWeb)
- Kannada (ISO MonolingualWeb)
- Manipuri (BilingualWeb)
New in iPlugin 3.0 :
iPlugin Toolbar : Now it is easy to change keyboard
type and switch key at the client side.
Floating Keyboard : Using the new floating keyboard,
a novice user can type by using the mouse to click on
the buttons.The layout is similar to the keytop labels
available with developers.
- Phonetic Assistant helps users to type in Phonetic
layouts my giving on screen prompt.
- iPlugin Design Time User Control for ASP, JSP
- EasyPhonetic keyboard layout
- Sanskrit (Monolingual Web) support for client
side input as well as serverside storage.(ASP, PHP,
- ISO fonts (BilingualWeb) support of Devenagari
(DVBI) and Gujarati(GJBI)
- ISO fonts (MonolingualWeb) support of Devenagari
(DVI), Telugu (TLI) and Kannada (KNI).
- Manipuri (Bilingual Web) support for client
side input as well as serverside storage.(ASP, PHP)
- Sample code for HTML, ASP, JSP, .Net, PHP and iPlugin
Design Time User Control for ASP, JSP and .Net is
provided. Documentation for using iPlugin Design Time
User Control is also provided.
- Compatible with iPlugin 2.0
- Compatible with Unicode/UTF
- Server side
- Server Platforms supported -
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Unix, or any OS supporting
Java Run Time.
- Works with web servers like Tomcat, Apache,
- Single JAR deployment for All Indian Languages
- Option for individual languages also supported.
- Development in JSP, Servlets, PHP possible.
- Server-side Conversion between various character
- ISCII to Unicode and reverse
- ISCII to UTF8 and reverse
- Unicode to UTF8 and reverse
- ISCII8 to ISCII7 and reverse
- Server side
- Four keyboards layouts available viz Inscript,
Phonetic, Typewriter and Easy Phonetic.
- It is possible to change the choosen keyboard
layout and scriptkey ( also known as language
key or toggle key) at runtime on the client
- The size of the components downloaded at
the client side is 154 Kb(approx) only.
- Very robust architecture.
- Does not require Java Runtime at client end.
- Supports FireFox 1.0
- Includes .Net (Dot Net)support
- Design time controls in ASP, JSP,
.Net (DotNet) help speedy web application development
- Other Features:
- Evaluation version of client side components
is available for all languages
- All iplugin client side component are digitally
signed with VeriSign Class 3 Code Signing 2001
-4 CA for making it possible to be downloaded
with safer browser settings.
- No manual cleanup required. Uninstall process
of client side component has been automated, which
cleans client system.
- GMsgBox for showing Indian Language Alert / msgbox (message
is available on demand. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
- Supports Dynamic
fonts (EOT, PFR) , web content creation tool
(ISM) , light weight web application development
- For easy development:
- Design Time control for ASP, JSP and .Net
speed up development
- The task of browser and OS detection can be simplified by using script files
included with iplugin.
- Script and Keyboard properties can be changed
dynamically using iPlugin Toolbar. The UI of
your existing web-page need not be changed.
- Sample working Indian language web site
is included with iPlugin.
- A "Checklist" for interactive
web development and deployment is provided.
- Extensive Documentation on How to deploy on
web-servers (including remote servers) has been
- Extensive Documentation has also been provided
for effective use of server side components.
- Tips for web-developers have been included
in the documentation.
To demonstrate the working of iPlugin, a small application
has been put up. The application has 3 fields namely
Name, Address and Taluka. There is a option of selecting
the keyboard layout between INSCRIPT, Phonetic, Easy
Phonetic and Typewriter.
We have put up all the application flavours (HTML,
ASP, JSP, PHP and .Net) for evaluation. Please access
it here -
For information about Unicode version of the iPlugin
please visit - http://iplugin.cdac.in/index-uni.htm
for more information on creating web applications
Some of the applications Online
solution (mail.sify.com-success story)
- Develop your own multilingual web eMail application
- Develop interactive chat facility on your website
for the languages of users choice
- Develop new or port existing database or e-governance
Develop scheduler and specialized Indian language
calendar that help task management
- Indian language ticker can make things dynamic
- Many more far reaching applications to give your
website, portal or vortal the native look & feel
you would like.